Mechanics of Molding and Process Development
For Experienced Processors
Molding 2 is a 10-day* injection molding training course for experienced processors. This course includes online reviews.
Molding 2 is for experienced molders who understand the basics of the injection molding process. This training is for processors responsible for building and documenting a molding process.
AIM has taken injection molding training to the next level by incorporating the industry’s latest research into technology into the curriculum. AIM’s integration with the manufacturing arm of Beaumont, in addition to our dedicated Molders’ Series Advisory Board and industry feedback, helps ensure the methodologies we teach are what the industry actually needs. AIM’s learning model is unique in our industry and is based on best educational practices backed by decades of academic research. This approach helps students solidify new concepts and retain their new knowledge at a much higher rate.
Molding 2 students will build a foundation for using data acquisition to document, replicate, monitor, and troubleshoot the molding process. Students will benefit from learning modern best practices for process development utilizing AIM Methodology. AIM’s courses are all designed around the four key disciplines in the injection molding process: plastic materials, part design, mold design, and injection molding processing. The more a student understands about the relationships between these disciplines, the better (s)he is able to resolve issues at the press.
Molding 2 graduates will be better able to determine the root cause of part and process problems by evaluating all of the available data, including cycle and machine outputs, cycle data trends over time, and final part appearance and imperfections.
*Please note that all courses and exams are presented in English. Students should be fluent in understanding, reading, and writing English.
Successful graduates of Molding 2 will have proven proficiency in being able to successfully:
- Walk up to an unfamiliar molding machine, understand the controls, and build a molding process from zero condition
- Understand Flow Grouping Methodology to determine the root cause of a mold filling imbalance
- Verify material preparation vs. moisture analysis
- Develop and document the phases of a molding process: fill, pack & hold, cooling, mold open/close, part ejection
- Convert between machine variables and plastic variables
- Complete core calculations essential for injection molding, including area, volume, volumetric flow, F=PA, safe startup shot size, and unit conversion
- Complete a mold tear down to observe mold construction
- Identify the critical components and features of a mold to pinpoint deficiencies and opportunities for improvement
- Utilize Microsoft Excel software and AIM’s proprietary Process Development Workbook to develop and document a 2-stage injection molding process
- Configure water lines to mold design spec and verify turbulent flow through water lines
- Operate a moisture analyzer and determine if plastic material is dried appropriately before molding
- Interpret commonly used graphical data to troubleshoot molding issues
- Understand the pitfalls of weight balancing alone and why this practice is not ideal for solving filling issues
If you have any additional questions that we can help you with prior to enrolling, please let us know.
- Prerequisites: Molding 2 candidates should have a foundational knowledge of the injection molding process
- Location: AIM’s Headquarters in Erie, Pennsylvania
- Length: 2 weeks of on-site classes, separated by 6 weeks of online reviews
- Cost: $4,150
Upcoming Molding 2 Courses
There may be grant funding available to help you pay for Molding 2. Learn more.
|May 18 - 22, 2020||Erie, Pennsylvania||$4,150.00 (USD)|
|Sep 28 - 02, 2020||Erie, Pennsylvania||$4,150.00 (USD)|
Full Session Schedules:
Week 1: May 18-22, 2020 Week 2: July 6-10, 2020
Week 1: Sept 28-Oct 2, 2020 Week 2: November 9-13, 2020
Is the class you wanted sold out? Seats sometimes open up. Email email@example.com to be put on a waiting list.