The Part Design Development course is structured to improve one’s ability to design for manufacturability as well as for performance over the products life span based on its operating environment.
The course begins with a review of fundamental plastic material characteristics, including shrink and warp that are important to understanding the complexities of both mechanical and dimensional performance. Then the course will review the most common plastic part design guidelines and reveal the purpose of each, so that the designer understands the consequences of abiding by, or deviating from, the guidelines. Next, comes designing for mechanical performance which covers the usual topics of stress, strain, and modulus, before delving deeper to explore the impact that time, temperature, moisture, and stress concentrations have on the final part. Practical applications, including snap fits, press fits, and beams are incorporated into the material to bolster the student’s opportunity for learning. The course will be closed out with a discussion on the key aspects of part cost estimation and will include methods for quickly evaluating cost based on the performance properties of different materials. After all, its not just the cost per pound of the material, there are many other factors that should be considered.
Date Range Price Quantity View Cart Oct 09, 2018 - Oct 10, 2018 $1,300.00 (USD)
- Key performance characteristics of amorphous and semi-crystalline materials
- Molecular weight and its effect on performance properties
- Effect of crystallinity on material properties
- Classifications of plastic shrinkage
- Advantages & disadvantages of common part design guidelines
- The impact the part design has on mold complexity and cost
- Understanding mechanical properties of stress, strain, modulus
- Understanding time dependent behavior of creep, stress relaxation, and fatigue
- Understanding environmental impacts of temperature and moisture
- In class application exercises: snap fits, press fits, and beams.
- Estimating part costs
- Duration: two (2) days (8:15AM – 4:30PM)
- Cost: $1,300 USD
- Location: 6100 West Ridge Road, Erie, PA 16506 USA
- Items provided: continental breakfast & lunch each day, attendance certificate, binder, pen, calculator, notepad and USB drive