The Mold Design for Project Engineers course is designed not only for project engineers, but also anyone new to mold design.
The goal of this course is to provide students with a basic working knowledge of plastics, injection molding, mold design and manufacturing. Mold Design for Project Engineers begins with an introduction to plastics and plastic flow characteristics. The injection molding machine and process are then discussed while defining common industry terms. The mold is then broken down into the core/cavity geometry and the melt delivery, cooling and ejection systems while teaching students how to identify those details on mold prints. Strategies for sizing a machine for a given mold are provided, along with critical design features to discuss and evaluate during the mold design review process.
AIM HEADQUARTERS – ERIE, PA
CHARLOTTE, NC – SPECIAL EVENT!
July 10-11, 2018
An AIM instructed, specialized, off-site two-day course at the Polymers Center in Charlotte, NC. Click here to learn more!
- Overview of injection molding machines and molding process
- Molding terminology
- Different types of molds and runner systems
- Understanding plastics and plastic flow characteristics
- Videos of plastic flowing in molds
- Understanding viscosity
- Understanding pressure drop
- 2-Plate versus 3-plate mold bases
- Strategies for using different tool steels
- Core/cavity alignment and pocketing techniques
- Methods for forming undercuts
- Ejection system
- How to read mold prints
- Series versus parallel mold cooling
- Strategies for optimizing mold cooling designs
- How to verify turbulent flow in cooling lines
- Baffles versus bubblers
- Types of hot and cold runner systems
- Runner sizing techniques
- Gate design and location strategies
- When to implement Rheological Control Systems
- Cold slug wells and venting
- Shot size versus machine capacity
- Clamp tonnage estimations
- Mold design practices that create variations
- Course duration is two (2) days
- Price for both days: $875 USD
- Seminars are held 6100 West Ridge Road, Erie, PA 16506 USA.
- Participants receive a course manual