The focus of Molding 2 is to develop and document a molding process for a mold using the AIM process development methodology and AIM’s “Document and Defend” philosophy. This course is taught over two separate weeks with six weeks of online reviews in between.
The first week of the class, the classroom portion of the class learning about the pillars or plastic material, injection molding and the mold. Labs will focus on how to operate a molding machine from “zero” condition through the steps of the AIM Process Development Methodology to develop and document a molding process.
During the first half of the week, topics discussed include the molding process, molding machines, mold vs. machine, and machine/mold/material preparation. That knowledge will be applied to making decisions throughout the process development. Each day students will learn more about the machines they are running and progress through the steps of the AIM Process Development methodology using AIM’s electronic process development workbook to document and defend the process that you create.
After the six weeks of online reviews, attendees return for their second week of class. Additional time in the classroom will be spent learning about Pressure Drop Study, Part Design, Data Acquisition and Troubleshooting. The focus of week two is the hands-on lab documenting and defending the molding process for your molds and machines.
The final two days are spent completing an exam to demonstrate the knowledge and skills learned throughout the course.LEARN HOW TO ENROLL
- Walk up to an unfamiliar molding machine, understand the controls, and build a molding process from zero condition
- Understand Flow Grouping Methodology to determine the root cause of a mold filling imbalance
- Verify material preparation vs. moisture analysis
- Develop and document the phases of a molding process: fill, pack & hold, cooling, mold open/close, part ejection
- Convert between machine variables and plastic variables
- Complete core calculations essential for injection molding, including area, volume, volumetric flow, F=PA, safe startup shot size, and unit conversion
- Complete a mold tear down to observe mold construction
- Identify the critical components and features of a mold to pinpoint deficiencies and opportunities for improvement
- Utilize Microsoft Excel software and AIM’s proprietary Process Development Workbook to develop and document a 2-stage injection molding process
- Configure water lines to mold design spec and verify turbulent flow through water lines
- Operate a moisture analyzer and determine if plastic material is dried appropriately before molding
- Interpret commonly used graphical data to troubleshoot molding issues
- Understand the pitfalls of weight balancing alone and why this practice is not ideal for solving filling issues
Download Course Details & Learning Objectives
- Over 90 hours of education + training, including:
- 6 weeks of weekly, interactive online reviews
- 80+ on-site instructional hours
- All course materials, including:
- Course book
- Calculators, pens, pencils, etc…
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Graduation package including your framed ANAB-Accredited Molding 2 Certificate and additional graduation gifts
How to Enroll
All potential Molding 2 students begin by taking our Molding Enrollment Evaluation. This evaluation measures current knowledge and skills directly related to the program and helps determine if the program is an ideal fit.
AIM’s Senior Processing Instructor, Jason Travitz, personally reviews the results of the evaluation with you and provides guidance for how you can best prepare for and be successful in the program.
If a student has already passed Molding 1, please contact your account manager to request the registration link directly.REQUEST YOUR MOLDING 2 ENROLLMENT EVALUATION NOW
Are you interested in also taking Molding Math to brush up on your math skills prior to taking Molding 2?REGISTER FOR MOLDING MATH
Are you a hiring manager?
We can also help you evaluate your workforce and assist you with creating a Workforce Development Plan that will truly help your organization.
Complete the form below and an AIM representative will contact you to begin your Workforce Evaluation.
There may be grant funding available to help you pay for our courses. Learn more.
Is the class you wanted sold out? Seats sometimes open up. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on a waiting list.